In  this section of the Web titled Asking The Prophet, we probe the brains of sci-fi, cli-fi, fantasy, and speculative fiction writers. This week, we spoke with John Gaiserich about post-apocalyptic wastelands, Russian film, and how the two are related.

EXCERPT:



Why do you think post-apocalyptic fiction is having such a surge in popularity now?

I think it’s just the world we live in. We just had the terrorist attacks in Brussels. It’s a pretty messed up world, and with the combination of that and climate change and all these factors that are hanging over our society, it’s kind of like we’re creating our own downfall here. I just think it’s the reader’s way of coping with reality. It’s my way of coping with it. Like I said, it’s easy when you’re me living in a pretty comfortable apartment and having all you need. But if you’re a refugee in Greece or France and you’re freezing to death in a tent colony or having it burned down and being directed to a shipping container, you’re probably thinking, “well, that’s part of the course.” So I think it’s our way of coping with the less than pleasant nature of the reality outside our window.