Wednesday, November 28, 2018

A message from the future, to the future: a dramatic stage monologue

 
 
The text below is part of a stage play script and contains a dramatic monologue to be delivered to the audience by either a woman or a man in the acting troupe.
 
The kind of trouble we're in now regarding climate change and global warming is this: All the scientific reports in the world will not be able to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.
 
And all the climate warning novels and movies and Netflix dramas about the emotions of the dire straits we are in won't be able to pick Humpty Dumpty up and put him back together again so he can sit on his happy wall enjoying his care-free life and watching all the people and birds passing by.
 
No it's too late for fixes, its too late for emotions, its too late for a cure-all to cure what ails us. We, well, our descendants 30 generations from now, 30 generations down the line from now, they will be doomed, doomed, doomed. Doomed to the Nth degree.

Why am I saying this? Because I am a moderm-day Jeremiah of sorts and this cri de coeur is my Jeremiad. Humans are doomed in 500 years. Let that sink in a bit, and then okay, then resume reading. What I have to say is hopeful, heartfelt and heartening so listen carefully.

All we can really do now is start helping our descendants 30 generations down the line to prepare to learn how to die when the Time comes, yes that Time, that Time that as yet has no name, that Time, that Time.

What can we do? Well, for starters, we begin to start writing guides and making videos that will help our doomed descendants in the distant future learn how to lie down and die in that Time with grace and dignity. We can publish the guides and their accompanying videos generation by generation until the Time, yes that Time, comes.

Am I nuts? Am I full of despair and hopelessness? No way.

On the contrary, I'm full of hope and optimism and vision. I have seen the mountain top in my mind's eye and I want to help people get there. 30 generations from now. That's the Time I have my eye set on now. 500 years from now.

Meanwhile, we can pray, we can play, we can sway, day after day, every day, from today on to that day 500 years from now when that Time will be apparent and visible and expectant. It is our duty to help prepare our descendants for what's going to happen to them circa 2500 a.d. 

Our books and videos can be hopeful and pragmatic, practical and practiced. We can offer advice to our descendants. We can offer solace, encouragement, grace, redemption. 

'Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall, Humpty Dumpty had a great fall, and all the king's horses and ll the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again." This is our fate. We did this to ourselves. I accept this and understand this profoundly.

We must tell the future our stories and offer them our guides to that Time of all Times. And they will be at peace with themselves then, as I am at peace with myself and with you now.

There, I have spoken. I hope it's not too much of a bummer, but hey, what is, is. We did this to ourselves. Be at peace and help those who will come after us to be at peace, too. It's the least we can do. From one generation to the next, starting today and 30 more generations of man, as they come. 

I am not nuts. I hear them crying, sobbing, wailing. Do you?

Pass this message on generation by generation, and let it find its own audience when the Time comes. We won't be around then, but we can take comfort in the hope that we helped them prepare in whatever ways we could offer.

This message is my offering. Yours?

No comments: