Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Two psychiatrists discuss climate change and global warming and their impacts on humankind in the near future

Two psychiatrists discuss climate change and global warming and their impacts on humankind in the near future

DOCTOR ONE:

I think this issue of the psychological impact of climate change will only get bigger, and I guess my main fear is for the younger generations yet to come -- and their resilience in coping with the challenges ahead. I see my role as raising the profile of this kind of problem -- both at community level and politically, in my statutory / health protection role as a director of public health where I live and work.

One expert that I know is Professor Beverley Raphael, who has a keen interest in mental health and major catastrophes, from a population perspective.

Another is Professor Simon Kemp, who is professor of psychology at Christchurch University.


DOCTOR TWO:

I would like to congratulate you in highlighting some of the psychological ramifications of climate change. Besides increasing anxiety, what we also know is a likely increase in violence and climate refugees.

I'm a psychiatrist who has specialized in ethics, and about two years ago, it seemed clear to me, though not to many other psychiatrists, that global warming was an ethical challenge, and we needed to contribute our expertise.

I wrote an article titled “Taking the Temperature on Global Warming”. I have also done other articles and lectures. Next up for me is to start meeting and discussing “The Psychiatric Aspects of Global Warming”.

No comments: